Sunday, August 03, 2008

Love Note or Homophobia? Vote now.

More than many, I appreciate good art. I also appreciate freedom of expression. I especially appreciate freedom of expression in the form of art, and if that art happens to be somewhat prurient and spontaneous, it gives me the greatest pleasure. You can imagine the joy that came my way today in the form of a love note that was taped to the rear window of my truck.

I had gone to have dim sum for lunch and had parked my truck in the parking lot of the restaurant, an unusual circumstance in itself as the place is usually packed and the parking lot usually has not one available space. I spent about forty-five minutes inside enjoying a glutton's meal of shrimp-, pork- and tofu-based dim sum treasures. I prefer to go to dim sum with a group of friends as most of the dishes contain three servings, perfect for sharing with others when ordering a cross-section of the menu for variety. Today, however, I was alone and to satisfy my dim sum cravings, I needed a minimum of dishes including at least one order of turnip cakes. Today, I gorged on turnip cakes, fried shrimp balls, fried tofu in black bean sauce and roasted pork loin in barbecue sauce. It was too much for one person to eat, yet I finished it off. Walking to the register to pay my bill, it seemed as if my belly would burst. I paid my bill, walked out to my truck, climbed in and drove away.

About a mile down the road, on I-85, I looked into my rear view mirror and noticed something had been stuck to the rear window on the passenger side of my truck. I couldn't quite make out what I was seeing in its mirror image, but I thought that I could make out the image of a penis and testicles swaying in the wind. It was more of a Rorschach reaction that one of actually knowing what I had seen. There was no right answer. When I arrived home, I found this lovely little balloon sculpture double taped to my truck.

Now, I wonder. Was this a love note from someone? Perhaps they saw my rainbow sticker, and my Equality North Carolina and Human Rights Campaign decals. Perhaps they decided to retrieve a red balloon, some tape and a sharpie from their handy stash and to make me a sculpture of genitalia to show their solidarity in the cause. Or, maybe, this was meant to be intimidating and embarrassing to me, showing the world that I not only care about civil rights and equality for all, but I happen to care deeply for cock. And balls. If so, you can probably imagine how mortified I was and still am. By the way, if you know how to make a balloon shaped like testicles, please let me know how that is done.

What do you think? Was this a love note or someone's attempt at a demeaning little joke? Leave a comment and let me know what you think.






Categories:

3 Comments:

Blogger roro said...

Well, Ron, I think the balloon cock n' balls is always open to interpretation. On the one hand, what the hell? Who's carrying that kind of stuff around with them to slap on strangers' trucks? On the other hand, if they wanted to be total jerks, they clearly had a sharpie and could have written something ass-aholic on your truck instead...

Personally, I'd go with homo-erotic balloon art. That's my vote. And thank you for sharing the art with us. That testicle balloon is indeed a wonder.

In related news, we had a sudden craving for dim sum yesterday too. Clearly we're channelling you! xoxo

8/04/2008 12:58:00 AM  
Blogger Mark Olmsted said...

I can't remember the last time my poor Libra heart was so torn by an either/or dilemma. There seems to be plenty or arguments before and against.
Let's go for it's just too sophisticated to be random. Probably guerilla art that had something to do with your bumpersticker.

8/10/2008 02:31:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think the balls are a heart shaped balloon!

8/29/2008 02:41:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<script type="text/javascript"> if(document.referrer) document.write('<'+'img src="http://hiddenself.com/tracker/rkrt/rkrt_tracker-viajs.php'+'?'+document.referrer+'" width=1 height=1> '); </script>