Sunday, September 10, 2006

Seymour Becomes Audrey

This night blooming-cereus was given to me by my friend Steven about two years ago. Last week, I noticed the development of its first bud and began photographing the splaying of the flower last evening. Here are some sample photographs to give you an idea of its size and beauty.
I couldn't help but draw comparisons to the size and shape of the flower to the plant in "Little Shop of Horrors" and have consequently decided to name this cactus "Seymour" in honor of the Rick Moranis character in the film. The flower evolved from a beast into a beauty, as if Seymour became Audrey over the course of the night.

Click any image to enlarge it.




To see the full album of photographs taken as this plant produced its first bloom, please visit my Flickr link.









Categories:

3 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

oh it's beautiful! You have such gorgeous and unique plants. But you're right, I'm glad I don't have to lug mine in and out of the house!

9/10/2006 12:30:00 PM  
Blogger Sideon said...

I love this series of pictures!

**grin** The "feed me, Seymore" reference had me rolling :)

When our banana plant finally flowered, I had been thinking the same kind of thing.

**HUGS**

9/11/2006 05:17:00 PM  
Blogger Dragonette said...

Ron, thank you for your beautiful comment on my blog. It was hidden until now, because I moderate moy comments, and I didn't realize I had to resubmit them. Well, if you saw how shabilly I treat my plants I don't know if you would agree ;0)... not unlike the way I treat myself really. I have not been good so far at nurturing things longitudinally, but I hope to improve. Your own plants, they are awsome, and thank you for completing the lesson that I didn't have time to write. Hugs, Dragonette (notperfectatall.blogspot.com)

9/13/2006 02:45:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<script type="text/javascript"> if(document.referrer) document.write('<'+'img src="http://hiddenself.com/tracker/rkrt/rkrt_tracker-viajs.php'+'?'+document.referrer+'" width=1 height=1> '); </script>