Sunday, April 03, 2005

Two On One

Last night, my beloved Tar Heels were pitted against Michigan State in the NCAA Men's Final Four semi-final game. I, however, as a Tar Heel fan, felt as though I was pitted not only against Michigan State but also against Billy Packer of CBS Sports. WHY, OH WHY? Why does he have to come along to every Carolina game of any import and ruin the pleasure of watching the game for me?

When we were down by 2 or 3 or even as much as 5 points, Billy was spewing out coffin nails about how the Tar Heels were doing almost everything wrong and were surely on their way down. I would almost rather rub my nose in skunk musk than listen to Billy Packer's attempt to point out every call that he thinks the game officials have called "incorrectly". If this is color commentary, the color is black. Why can't he just retire and leave us in peace?

It would be truly interesting to me to have someone analyze his comments and to characterize each of his statements as to whether it is positive or negative with respect to the two teams in a game he is calling. The only time he seems to be unbiased, in my humble opinion, is when he seems to hate both teams equally. Mostly, he seems always to have a few extra barbs to throw at UNC, even if only to cast a pall over the potential to win a game.

I would listen to Woody, gladly, over this, but there is nearly a 3 second delay between my satellite television feed and the radio broadcast. I hear Woody say "And it's good!" as I watch the Tar Heels throw the ball in from the other team's baseline. That just doesn't work....sorry Woody!

Goodness...this will be a telling comment. I would rather have Dick Vitale do my Tar Heel games than Billy Packer any day. Blue Heaven help me!

Categories:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you about the negativity. I watched the entire game, which is something I would not ordinarily do, but I know how much it means to you, and I wanted to have an intelligent comment to make about it. I found myself wondering whether this commentator guy worked for Michigan State. He certainly found plenty of negative things to say about Carolina. So you were not the only one to think that it was overly negative commentary. By the way, I was elated that Carolina won, mostly because I knew you would be!!!

Les Geller

4/03/2005 02:49:00 PM  
Blogger Birkel said...

I got you added to the anti-Billy Packer post over at the ACC BasketBlog.

Thanks for popping by to let us know we'd missed you. And Ed and I hope you'll keep stopping to peek around our place.

Best.

4/08/2005 04:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<script type="text/javascript"> if(document.referrer) document.write('<'+'img src="http://hiddenself.com/tracker/rkrt/rkrt_tracker-viajs.php'+'?'+document.referrer+'" width=1 height=1> '); </script>