Monday, April 28, 2008

Welcome Guest Writer Revenger from Peru

Please welcome my new friend Revenger from Peru. Revenger is an HIV+ Peruvian who blogs in Spanish and has agreed to trust my nascent Spanish translation skills to present his work to our English-reading audience. I hope that you will join me in welcoming his work. You can write to Revenger directly if you have feedback for him and you can visit his Spanish-language site as well, Ser Gay en el Peru. I hope that you will check out his work.

Living with HIV/AIDS in Lima, Peru



Hello!

I am one of many people who live in Peru and who live a calm and simple life, only that I am gay and HIV+. These last details are minor in the part that they play in my life, which little by little I will go on telling, because society here is closed and machista, and anecdotes and experiences are extensive.

I believe that what affected me most obviously was finding out that I was HIV+ in 2001, especially as I have been HIV+ for as long as I have lived as a gay man. The news of being HIV+ came as a result of routine preoperative examinations, although I believe that I sensed it from knowing that my health was somewhat fragile with constant colds and stomach problems. In spite of that, finding out the news was something powerful, even though already I was prepared for it as the doctor requested a repeat blood sample for a confirmatory test, supposedly due to an error in my examination. In fact, it was an excuse by the hospital to repeat the HIV test. Still, it was powerful news and I could not contain my tears. Luckily the hospital that takes care of me has a platform of support for these cases, and there was a doctor and a psychologist whom I could see for support.

I must clarify that my case is something different from the average [Peruvian] citizen, since through my work I have medical insurance that is somewhat better than what the average person can access. The average Peruvian citizen must go to the national hospitals where the treatment is not the same [as what I received] and is even discriminatory on the part of some doctors and nurses who are paid by the World Health Organization (WHO). I know with absolute certainty that my partner, who is also HIV+, must face these issues and must fight against the system.

As an HIV+ person, I do not take my health situation as a death sentence but as a situation with which I must adapt, except that I have to fit my habits around the schedule of pills that I must religiously take because of my partner’s strict oversight. It is not that I cannot care for myself, but in my case, it is my partner who remembers to give me the tablets, it is he who feels responsible for my health and I thank him for that reason. I adapt my work to certain limitations that I myself imposed to be able to strengthen my health. Before my diagnosis, I worked during the day and, at night, I studied or taught courses, but I preferred to stop that and to rest and to have more time with my partner. Despite having the luck of working together, our work is not the same and we do not see each other there as much as at home. We have only been living together for two years, but we have always sailed along to do things together, to take walks, to go to the market, to talk, etc.

The situation that an HIV+ person in Peru lives varies according to his or her economic situation. That is a cruel reality: extremely poor people exist who do not have the money to go to the national hospitals, and when they do, they must wait for hours and hours to receive medical attention. It they are lucky, they may get to see a doctor that day and if not, they must return another day to see if they will have luck to be seen then. Certainly, support programs of the WHO, called TARGA in Peru, give anti-retroviral drugs to patients who are registered as HIV+ but they do not have the capacity to treat all of the patients. Additionally, as with all subsidized programs, an apparatus of bureaucracy has been created where those running the system worry more about making money than with giving quality care to their patients. Not all of the doctors are like this, but there is a well-known laziness in the quality of care that they give in those health centers which supposedly receive international money to give better care to HIV+ patients. I believe that this is typical in an underdeveloped country like ours, where the systems of supervision and control are not efficient, and some corruption exists where those who oversee the bottom line of the funds given by the WHO are on-the-take. For example, the doctor who sees my partner does not touch him. When he has a problem, she listens, observes his symptoms but will not approach him nor touch him. In his mandatory monthly exams, this doctor only asks him how he feels and if he is in pain. If he presents with some condition or problem, the doctor addresses just that issue, an attitude that goes against the protocol established by the WHO for HIV+ patients and these are doctors who receive money to give good care to HIV+ patients. Cruel reality, is it not?

Aside from this reality, it is a fact that Peruvian society impacts itself and discriminates against HIV+ people. I even recall the day when I told my brother about being HIV+ and his first reaction was to say to me “Please be careful around my children”, I must confess that this answer hit me hard. It made me feel that I was a threat to them. It made me fear going near them and that by simply playing with them, I would put them in danger. Luckily his attitude changed with time and above all, thanks to the information that I myself provided my brother and his wife. Worse attitudes can be found in the ignorance of the population. Sadly, there is much fear and lack of conviction, campaigns focus on contagion and precautions to take, but in spite of these programs, ignorant attitudes persist in the average population. Every year in April, the month in which classes begin here, there are cases of children who are not allowed to enter schools for being HIV+ and parents threaten to remove their children from a school if an infected child is accepted. Is this fair to children?

I believe that all the things that I have experienced, the cruel attitudes, the hurtful glances of some people, the astonished expressions of those who find out, I believe that all of these things have made me stronger. It has shown me who really is my friend, with whom I can speak openly, and it gives me sufficient strength to face life with my chin up, to think about all the things that I have left to do. It is a joy to feel alive and loved by somebody special to me. I know that there are many things for which I thank my destiny, that good and bad times will come, but it is not a problem to be prepared.

Hugs,

Revenger

(translation by Ron Hudson)

Desde Lima, Peru: Viviendo con el VIH/SIDA



Hola!
Soy una de las tantas personas que viven en el Peru y que llevan una vida tranquila y sencilla, solo que tengo la particularidad de ser gay y ser seropositivo, estos ultimos son pequeños detalles que forman parte de mi vida, la cual poco a poco ire contando, ya que la sociedad aquí es mas cerrada y machista, asi que anecdotas y vivencias se encuentran a montones.

Creo que lo que mas me afecto obviamente fue el enterarme que era seropositivo en el año 2001, ya que el tener conciencia de ser gay la he tenido toda mi vida. La noticia de ser seropositivo la recibi debido a unos examenes preoperatorios de rutina, creo que lo intuia en vista que mi salud estaba un tanto fragil con resfrios constantes y molestias en el estomago, a pesar de eso enterarse de la noticia fue algo fuerte, aun cuando ya estaba preparado para ello, ya que me pidieron repetir la muestra de sangre para una confirmacion, supuestamente por una equivocacion en un examen, en realidad fue una excusa del hospital para repetir el test vih. Pero igual fue una noticia fuerte y no pude contener las lagrimas, por suerte el hospital que me atiende tiene una plataforma de apoyo para estos casos, y cuando me dieron la noticia estuvo el medico y un psicologo con quien me dejaron despues a fin de poder conversar y dar apoyo.

Debo aclarar que mi caso es algo diferente al ciudadano promedio, ya que por mi trabajo tengo un respaldo medico un tanto mejor que el comun de las personas, el ciudadano comun debe acudir a los hospitales nacionales donde el trato no es el mismo e incluso es discriminatorio por parte de los mismo medicos y enfermeras que el mismo OMS paga aquí, y lo se con absoluta certeza en vista que mi pareja quien tambien es seropositivo se atiende alli y debe lidiar con esas cosas.

El ser seropositivo no lo tome como una condena sino como una situacion con la cual me debo adaptar, solo eso, adapto mis habitos a los horarios de las pastillas que debo tomar religiosamente gracias a la puntual indicacion de mi pareja. No es que yo no pueda hacerlo, pero en mi caso es mi pareja la que siente gusto en darme las pastillas, en sentirse responsable de mi salud y le doy muchas gracias por ello. Adapte mi trabajo a ciertas limitaciones que yo mismo me impuse para poder reforzar mi salud, antes trabaja en el dia y en las noches estudiaba o dictaba unos cursos, pero preferi cartar con eso asi tengo mas tiempo para descansar y tener mas tiempo para pasar con mi pareja, a pesar de tener la suerte de trabajar juntos, no es igual el trato que tenemos en el trabajo al que tenemos en la casa, ya que tenemos mas de 2 años viviendo juntos y siempre planeamos hacer cosas juntos, salir a pasear, ir al mercado, caminar, conversar, etc.

La situacion que vive una persona seropositivo en el Peru varia de acuerdo a su situacion economica, esa es una cruel realidad, existen personas sumamentes pobres las cuales ni tienen dinero para acudir a los hospitales nacionales, y cuando lo hacen deben esperar durante horas y horas para recibir atencion medica si es que ese dia llegaron a coger un turno, sino deben volver otro dia a ver si tienen suerte de conseguir alguno. Definitivamente los programas de apoyo de la OMS, que en nuestro pais se llama TARGA y que entrega retrovirales a los pacientes que esten registrados como pacientes VIH; no dan cabida a todos los pacientes, ademas que como todo programa subsidiado ha creado todo un aparato de burocratas que mas se preocupan de ganar dinero que en dar una atencion de calidad a sus pacientes, no todos los medicos son asi pero fatalmente es algo notorio la desidia en la calidad de atencion que dan en esos centros de salud que supuestamente reciben dinero internacional para dar una mejor atencion y preferente a los pacientes vih. Creo que es tipico que pase algo asi en un pais subdesarrollado como el nuestro, donde los organos de supervision y control no son eficientes, y algunos corruptos asi que como veran no son los mas indicados para poder controlar el uso de los fondos dados por la OMS. Como ejemplo les contare que la doctora que atiende a mi pareja no lo toca, asi como lo escuchan, cuando el tiene alguna molestia lo escucha lo observa pero no se acerca mucho ni lo toca, es mas, se supone que en su consulta obligatoria mensual el medico lo deberia revisar, pero lo unico que hace este es preguntarle como se siente y si le duele algo, es lo unico, solo cuando el paciente presenta alguna molestia recien e medico muestra algo de atencion, actitud que esta en contra del protocolo estalecido por la OMS para los paceintes VIH, y esos son los medicos que reciben altos sueldos para dar una buena atencion a los pacientes vih, cruel realidad no?

Aparte de esta realidad, esta el hecho de que la sociedad peruana aun se impacta y discrimina a las personas seropositivas, aun recuerdo el dia que le conte a mi hermano acerca de ser seropositivo, su primera reaccion fue decirme “Por favor ten cuidado con mis hijos”, debo confesar que me choco semejante respuesta, me hizo sentir como si fuera una amenaza para ellos, me hizo sentir como si desde ese momento en adelante tenia que evitar acercarme a ellos, o que por el simple hecho de jugar con ellos podria ponerlos en peligro. Por suerte esa actitud cambio con el tiempo y sobretodo gracias a la informacion que yo mismo le proporcione a mi hermano y a su esposa, actitudes peores encuentra uno por la ignorancia de la gente, fatalmente hay mucho miedo y falta de convencimiento, se hacen campañas sobre las formas de contagio, las precauciones a tener pero a pesar de ello persisten esas actitudes entre el comun de las personas, siempre cada mes de abril que es la fecha en que comienzan las clases escolares aquí, se presentan casos de niños que no les permiten entrar a los colegios por ser seropositivos, y los padres amenazan con sacar a sus hijos de ese colegio si el niño infectado es aceptado, es eso justo en un niños.

Creo que todas las cosas que a la fecha he pasado, las actitudes inhumanas recibidas, las miradas de lastima de algunas personas, las expresiones de asombro de quien se entera, creo que todo ello solo me ha hecho mas fuerte, ademas de poder mostrarme quien realmente es mi amigo, con quien realmente cuento, y todo ello me hace mas fuerte, me da la fortaleza suficiente para afrontar la vida con la frente en alto, a pensar en todas las cosas que tengo pendiente por hacer. En la alegria de sentirme vivo y amado por alguien especial para mi. Son muchas cosas por las que doy gracias a mi destino, se que vendran tiempos buenos y malos, pero no hay problema estare preparado.

Un abrazo
Revenger

Categories:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your story with the world.

5/02/2008 01:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<script type="text/javascript"> if(document.referrer) document.write('<'+'img src="http://hiddenself.com/tracker/rkrt/rkrt_tracker-viajs.php'+'?'+document.referrer+'" width=1 height=1> '); </script>