Tuesday, May 22, 2007

The Passing of Falwell

I have been quiet about the passing of fundamentalist evangelical minister and founder of Liberty Baptist University Jerry Falwell. I have not yet been able to block him and his vitriolic campaign to denigrate the LGBTQ community for decades out of my mind. I tried to think about what it would be like for me to post a note saying that I celebrated his death and I found the idea of celebrating anyone's death appalling. Living with HIV/AIDS has taught me compassion, something that Falwell seemed to lack where my communities were concerned. Instead, I celebrate a new era where the man has passed on to meet his maker and I pray that his soul will be forgiven for the rhetoric that made the lives of my friends in the LGBTQ community and the HIV/AIDS community much more difficult. I have to wonder how many people who sincerely sought God while living with HIV/AIDS might have killed themselves after hearing some of the ideas that Falwell bandied about quite regularly.

No, I will not celebrate his death. However, I did see a note on a blog in the past few days that I wish I had bookmarked. Sadly, I can not get back to the source, but someone in the LGBTQ community has suggested that the best way we can show our feelings about this man's life is to make donations to our favorite LGBTQ or HIV/AIDS charity and to have the charity send a receipt with a note attached that simply reads "Remembering Reverend Falwell and his Legacy. We are praying for his soul." to the following address:

Liberty University
1971 University Boulevard
Lynchburg, VA 24502-2269.

I think this is a very positive message and we know that our support organizations such as the Human Rights Campaign Fund, the Gay and Lesbian Association Against Defamation (GLAAD), local HIV/AIDS support groups and local LGBTQ groups (such as Equality North Carolina) can all use the money.

Peace to you all.

Categories:

2 Comments:

Blogger GT said...

I think that is a wonderful way of tackling the issue. It was fought with protest, then with colour and sequins. Now its time to leave a more positive mark that truly reinforces our argument of seeking equality.

-Nel xx

5/22/2007 11:15:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As it is on topic here, I just thought you might get a giggle out of this link:

http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Content?oid=223863

5/23/2007 06:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<script type="text/javascript"> if(document.referrer) document.write('<'+'img src="http://hiddenself.com/tracker/rkrt/rkrt_tracker-viajs.php'+'?'+document.referrer+'" width=1 height=1> '); </script>