Monday, June 05, 2006

Grits on Ice

There are some things that are just mind-boggling. I decided tonight to find the Stanley Cup playoffs on television and after searching for a while, did find the game as I sat down for dinner. It is, mind you, about 70 degrees F outside and I am watching a bunch of handsome, fuzzy men packed in padding sliding around on ice while chasing a tiny little hard-rubber puck. I was sucking on a fried pork chop bone when the Oiler's drew first blood in this best of seven series for the championship and I popped a hushpuppy in consolation. I figured that one was for my friend Chuck of Edmonton who passed away about seven years ago and for my new friend RoRo who will need consolation of her own after the 'Canes get their ice-legs, or whatever you call it in this sport. The 'Canes are, after all, the pre-series favorites to win the series. So far, though, they are still down 1-0 in game one.

When I was a kid, Hee Haw was new and we learned of the country comedian Archie Campbell. He did a comedy routine called "Hockey Here Tonight" that was so hilarious back then. I would imagine he never would have foreseen a day when a team from Raleigh, North Carolina, would be playing a team from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, for the bragging rights of the sport. It is kind of like putting sugar on your grits. You know it is possible, but who would actually want to do it?

Categories:

4 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

*giggles*

I love you all the more for this post! ;)

6/05/2006 09:15:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ron - you're hilarious. I was GOING to write "Better stock up on those hush puppies, my friend, 'cause the Oilers are gonna snap the 'Canes in half - YEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAH!!!" and then I remembered that hockey trash talking is unladylike.

6/06/2006 06:43:00 AM  
Blogger Ron Hudson said...

ROFLMAO!!!!! Roro, keep this up and we will have to meet someday! What a first game, eh? Well, actually, I turned out at 3-0 and then was shocked to find the score 3-4...then 4-4 and then 4-5, or as I prefer to put it 1-0. Yes, there is nothing less attractive than sports trash talking of any kind...especially if you do it like I do just to pull a leg or two.

6/06/2006 06:55:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAhahahaaaaaa!! Oh, Ron. We WILL meet, of course - when I come down there and flash the Stanley Cup in your face! Yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! LMFOAMOSJ (laughing my face off at my own stupid joke). xo, roro

6/06/2006 10:17:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<script type="text/javascript"> if(document.referrer) document.write('<'+'img src="http://hiddenself.com/tracker/rkrt/rkrt_tracker-viajs.php'+'?'+document.referrer+'" width=1 height=1> '); </script>