Sunday, April 16, 2006

My new favorite quote

"Senator, when you were sworn in, you put your hand on the Bible and swore to uphold the Constitution. You did not put your hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible."

Jamie Raskin, Constitutional Law Professor at American University

I was just watching the Media Awards program for 2006 from the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) on LOGO channel. Because I had just driven home from Wilmington and my blood glucose level had dropped too low, I was in and out of the room during the show. Consequently, I only heard the end of a speech in which the preceding passage was quoted by the President of GLAAD, and I did not know to whom to attribute these wise words. It turns out that there are several potential sources, from Bill Maher to Jesse Jackson, Jr., according to this article at Snopes.com.

Would this country not be a better place if we governed ourselves with a view toward protecting all Americans rather than just toward protecting the majority? I would love to hear your views.

Categories:

2 Comments:

Blogger GT said...

I guess my question is... what is the point of putting your hand on the bible? What is its significance today and does it automatically exclude the many minorities it doesn't represent?


-Nel
http://music.nclemente.com/

4/17/2006 08:02:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like Nel, I question the necessity of the hand on the bible. Personal integrity is one thing but swearing on a book of badly written fiction matters not to me. Re the quote: Whoever said it, it's a good and valid question for our people in Washington today. They are there for ALL their constituents and should act and vote that way. Finances be damned, they should vote and act for the good of the people, but rarely do.

4/21/2006 02:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<script type="text/javascript"> if(document.referrer) document.write('<'+'img src="http://hiddenself.com/tracker/rkrt/rkrt_tracker-viajs.php'+'?'+document.referrer+'" width=1 height=1> '); </script>