Saturday, December 10, 2005

My 20th Anniversary

Monday is the 12th of December. I would like to invite you all to have a party to remember this day. Twenty years ago at about 3:45 in the afternoon, I received the phone call that changed my life. I was told by my doctor by phone at work, that I had tested positive for HIV. It devastated me, but I couldn't let it show because of my location, and then I had to pull it all together for two weeks later to spend Christmas with my family. All of it was a huge secret back then because homes were being burned and people threatened if they had HIV.

Now life is easier. So go have a drink in my honor. Eat something wonderful. Hug someone you love and would miss if they left you alone. Smile. Listen to some good music. Pet a dog or a cat or a bird or a fish. Watch a good film....you get the idea. Above all, call someone up and tell them how much they mean to you. In short, celebrate your life!

If you have some time or money to give, please check locally for an AIDS charity that could use your gifts. A smiling face may be all that is needed for a dying soul.

Categories:

5 Comments:

Blogger Samantha said...

Ron, it is great to see you have lived as long as you have with HIV/AIDS.

I love reading your blog and know you will be around to see another 20.

I will think of you Monday hun, my thoughts are with you always.

12/10/2005 08:00:00 PM  
Blogger Peascod said...

Ron, happy life! What an aniversary to celebrate! I was working in NYC in theatre a little over 20 years ago when the first wave of HIV hit that community...well back then we were calling it the "gay cancer". I can't ever tell you how many of the wonderfully, creative people I knew back then are gone from this cruel disease. A whole generation of creative souls! I will raise a glass to celebrate your beating the odds. We have come a long way baby, but not near far enough. jackie

12/11/2005 12:30:00 AM  
Blogger MHC said...

Ron... your courage, your perseverance and your outspokeness and willingness to educate others is to be honored, congratulated and admired.

I sincerely believe that my generation has let our guard down on HIV/AIDS and other health issues. We are less likely to practice safe-sex, we are more promiscuous (even I have been guilty of this in the past). People in my generation desperately need more people like you to educate us, to teach us, to speak to us, and to help us realize that we must be more health conscious, more safe-sex conscious and more willing to be active and involved in our community and willing to make a difference.

Thank you for being here. Thank you for speaking out. Thank you for doing your part to help the younger generations of LGBT folk.

12/11/2005 06:17:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have influenced so many people with your physical presence, with your written work, and with your blog. In you I see the living instantiation of so many philosophical ideals that most of us only read about. In trial by fire fashion you live each day dealing with some of the darkest most loathsome aspects of humanity in addition to suffering the trials of one of the worst diseases known to this planet. This has shaped your existence so very much, but its not first thing I think of when I think of Ron. You have a playful spirit with an essence that touches the emotions of so many. Reading your blog makes my day better, and I'm truly glad to celebrate this anniversary in a way that no birthday or solemn remembrance has yet inspired of me.

Cheers!

12/12/2005 02:40:00 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Ron~
Here's to 20 more, 40 more! I missed doing it on the 12th, but I'll celebrate, and do several of the things on your list (I refuse to pet a fish!) with you in mind tomorrow.

I'm so happy things, awareness, acceptance, medicine, have come so far over the last 20 years!
*hug*
~Erin

12/13/2005 11:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<script type="text/javascript"> if(document.referrer) document.write('<'+'img src="http://hiddenself.com/tracker/rkrt/rkrt_tracker-viajs.php'+'?'+document.referrer+'" width=1 height=1> '); </script>