Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Showcasing Visual Art

Earlier in the year, I translated some of the poetry of Sr. Francisco Azuela, having been sent his work by The Other Voices International Project director Roger Humes. Afterwards, I was approached by Sr. Azuela via my friend Humberto Garza who has compiled a collection of Spanish language poetry called Los-Poetas.com. Sr. Azuela wanted me to translate a book of his poetry, La Palabra Ardiente (The Ardent Word), so I continued my lessons in Spanish in the process. When a fee for services came up, I suggested to Sr. Azuela that he make a donation to a local AIDS charity instead. Thus was born an AIDS fundraising project that has been compiled for an appropriately large-in-scope and international AIDS Relief Organization.

Sr. Azuela has accorded me the rights of development for his trilingual edition (Spanish, French and English) of La Palabra Ardiente with illustrations for the forty poems that are included in the collection. I have been working with artists from three continents to illustrate the works of Sr. Azuela. Two of the artists are from Brasil: Paula Pedroso and Osvaldo Piva. In honor of all the participants, I have created a new sidebar item entitled “Artspace” in which I plan to provide links to the websites of the artists who have participated in the project. Paula and Osvaldo have already established websites where their work can be viewed. As I find the sites for the other artists, I will link to them as well. In the meantime, please enjoy the work of my friends, Paula Pedroso and Osvaldo Piva. Click on the images in the correct spots and you will find the site entry. Their sites display an array of work from various stages of their careers. The work for La Palabra Ardiente is included, so have a look around.

I will introduce you to the others in the team as their work is available to share. We have collected works from California, Colorado, Indiana and North Carolina here in the US, and artistic contributors from Canada, Estonia and the United Kingdom as well.

Our project is looking for an agency for sponsorship. All the work to develop this project has been donated and the project will be given to a sponsor organization for their fund raising activities.

Categories:

3 Comments:

Blogger Laurie said...

I really like the woodcuts of Paula Pedroso (is that what they are? - I'm ignorant about printmaking and such), but Osvaldo Piva's work is very thought-provoking. Thank you for introducing us to them.

12/05/2005 02:00:00 PM  
Blogger Ron Hudson said...

Hi Laurie!

Paula's work is a mix of linoleum carvings and wood carvings. Osvaldo incorporated lines from the Azuela poems into his work.

I am glad you liked them, "cousin"! I appreciated last weeks's comment too, sorry it too so long to say so.

:-)

Ron

12/06/2005 01:06:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's ALL my honour to be a part of the project, to work from the poems and be inspired by you - a great and wonderful soul that I had the joy to meet. To make the prints for you was a very important thing to me that had made increased my work, my vision as an artist, and had opened sources of inspiration that I was searching for long time and that I thought had died. I only can say that we will always have inspirations and art to make this world a bit better; no matter how much level of spreading it will get, but if we can touch one person each time we do something new and with a good meaning of this, we're doing the most blessed thing based in compassion, sharing friendship, love and billions of other matters that can arise from our soul. Each soul has its particular way of expression and I hope you keep doing it as you always beautifully do here in your blog and in your everyday life... and OH, for other people...!

ALL LOVE,

Paula Pedroso

12/06/2005 10:35:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<script type="text/javascript"> if(document.referrer) document.write('<'+'img src="http://hiddenself.com/tracker/rkrt/rkrt_tracker-viajs.php'+'?'+document.referrer+'" width=1 height=1> '); </script>