Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Full Stop

So, that didn't take long. I managed to buy a 16 inch long drill bit to drill through my ceiling and into the subflooring above. I drilled until the drill bit completely disappeared into the abyss above and can not now for the life of me find the hole upstairs. After assessing the situation for half an hour, I finally did a search online for electricians, filled out a form, hit the submit button and the phone rang immediately. I now have an appointment for Friday at 1pm with someone who knows what they are doing. If he can't help me with the wiring, I will have to sheepishly return the fan, the bracket, the electrical box and other things that I bought for the project. And I will buy some heavy-duty spackle to fill in the hole in my ceiling.

Categories:

4 Comments:

Blogger GT said...

Oh no!!!

Well, you're certainly braver than I'll ever be at home renovations!

-Nel

11/23/2005 07:52:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

DIY tip I've seen in action: open up a coat hanger and stick it up through the hole, may give you something to look for upstairs! But was the idea to go into some framing piece? Did the drill residue look like all powder? Or powder and then sawdust? I think DIY network actually has a website, if you're interested in looking/sounding a bit more informed by friday. Meanwhile, enjoy your Thanksgiving holiday!

11/23/2005 08:57:00 PM  
Blogger Ron Hudson said...

Hi guys...thanks for the thoughts. I found powder as I went through the drywall, then insulation, and then finally sawdust. It seems that I might have gone into a joist. I tried the coathanger trick too...nothing shows. At this point, I will be happy to have an electrician hook up a box and then I will hang the fan myself. I know that I can do that at least. Ya live, ya learn...or not....:-)

11/23/2005 11:18:00 PM  
Blogger Ron Hudson said...

The fan is intalled! The electrician came and cut out my floor upstairs, installed the wiring and then put the flooring back down. I put the fan up in less than an hour after that, although I am finding that my fingers are getting clumsy for handling small screws and washers. Photos will come later.

11/25/2005 05:18:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<script type="text/javascript"> if(document.referrer) document.write('<'+'img src="http://hiddenself.com/tracker/rkrt/rkrt_tracker-viajs.php'+'?'+document.referrer+'" width=1 height=1> '); </script>