Sunday, July 01, 2007

Blooming Houseplants, July 1, 2007

This begonia was given to me by my friend Danielle last year. It has apparently been quite happy at my home, having filled out into a spherical form that covers its tall, narrow pot when seen from above.

Click any image to enlarge it.
The following photographs are of one of my two snakeplants or "mother-in-law's tongue" plants. I didn't realize that they bloomed until a couple of years ago, but was pleasantly surprised to find another night-blooming plant in my collection. These delicate flowers open in late afternoon and close back up in the early morning. Their scent can only be described as earthy and sweet and somehow similar to most night-blooming
plants. (It is possible they bloom according to temperature drop in the evening instead of loss of light.) The plants are toxic if ingested, so be sure to protect your small animals and children from exposure to them.

These nighttime photos are my favorites, capturing the plant in the light from my porch without flash. Photography courtesy of Roger and me.







Categories:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

<script type="text/javascript"> if(document.referrer) document.write('<'+'img src="http://hiddenself.com/tracker/rkrt/rkrt_tracker-viajs.php'+'?'+document.referrer+'" width=1 height=1> '); </script>