Monday, June 20, 2005

Update and Happy Birthday Puppies


I stopped two of my medications about three days ago. Already my lower back is feeling a bit better, and I am off to see my primary care physician today to talk with her about what is happening with me. I realized in thinking this through that the blood draw that showed the first hint of kidney dysfunction was taken on 9 May when I had not yet started the second drug that was supposed to have triggered this issue for me. That would leave me to believe that something else was the true cause, so I started investigating.

It turned out that the first of my anti-triglyceride drugs has a warning label that states that the danger of taking the drug is not outweighed by the benefits of taking it. Having found that and then having found the list of side effects that included congestive heart failure, I am suspicious that my heart rhythm was being affected by the first drug and it caused a blip in my kidney function. Adding the second drug, which is known to cause severe renal failure probably only made matters worse. Either way, I suspect that I will be seeing a number of changes in my drug regimen in the next few weeks, especially since every search I have run using the names of the two anti-cholesterol/triglyceride drugs finds an explicit warning not to prescribe the two together.

That is where things stand at present. I was told that my kidney problems are not bad enough yet to warrant dialysis and that if all goes well, the discontinuation of these two drugs will clear up the problem. It is somewhat encouraging to know that I am feeling physically better already.

º º º

Today is the first birthday for Greta and Goose’s litter of pups: Zelda, Rocco, Moxie and Baxter. They were a cute little crew when first exploring the world. Now they have full-blown schnauzer "personalities" of their own. Happy Birthday, kids!

Categories:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

so was that a mistake by the docs or why can that happen? just yesterday i heard another story of two drugs that were prescribed together. makes me angry.

but well, most important thing is that you're feeling better. :)

give the pubs a hug from me :)

6/21/2005 01:04:00 PM  
Blogger Ron Hudson said...

Hey!

No, actually the other issues that I am facing are severe enough that the warning labels on most drugs probably don't apply to me. Combining the drugs was likely seen as worth the risk, given my high levels of triglycerides. That is not a comforting thought, but it is a reality. I guess I knew this, but had gone into denial about just how high my triglyercides have been.

6/21/2005 02:35:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah okay :( i see.

6/25/2005 05:07:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are really cute pups -- in that picture. I understand that Zelda is no longer yours, and that both Greta and Zelda have become perfect little angels. Now I wonder what that means....
It is so Hudson of this whole situation that the one pup Ron sold to the person who lives beside his mother is the pup that has already had thousands of dollars of doctor bills.

7/21/2005 04:30:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That isn't an anonymous comment above. I just didn't get my name on it in time. LOL

7/21/2005 04:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<script type="text/javascript"> if(document.referrer) document.write('<'+'img src="http://hiddenself.com/tracker/rkrt/rkrt_tracker-viajs.php'+'?'+document.referrer+'" width=1 height=1> '); </script>